Comma Call for Papers – Special Issue on Australasia and Oceania
Papers are invited for a special issue of the International Council on Archives (ICA) journal Comma devoted to archives and recordkeeping in Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands.
This issue will showcase the issues, innovative work and energy that characterise archives and recordkeeping, and the people who manage them, in this part of the world.
Particular themes may include:
- the interdependency between recordkeeping and good governance;
- how indigenous knowledge cultures and systems have shaped recordkeeping in this part of the world;
- approaches for managing records and archives in small island developing states;
- local professional innovations such as the series system and the records continuum;
- approaches to digital recordkeeping and digital preservation;
- the impact of legislation on access to official information, and archives / public records legislation;
- the role of standards;
- advocacy for archives at risk;
- the value of regional collaboration;
- archives and the UNESCO Memory of the World program;
- Australasian approaches to appraisal;
- the history of archives establishment and archival organisations in this region.
The issue will combine significant existing writing on these areas in addition to new pieces written specifically for the theme issue.
The editorial board of Comma is seeking contributions from authors with expertise in the areas outlined above. In addition to full-length scholarly essays, the editorial board welcomes shorter pieces. Contributors are encouraged to include non-textual materials. Recommended languages for submission are French and English.
Full papers need to be submitted by 1 December 2011. It is intended that the special issue will be published to coincide with the ICA Congress in Brisbane, Australia in August 2012.
Interested authors should contact the guest editors for the volume:
Evelyn Wareham (Archives New Zealand, Wellington),
Adrian Cunningham (Queensland State Archives, Brisbane),