The Expert Group on Legal Matters (EGLM) was established by the ICA Programme Commission in September 2016.
- The EGLM provides a forum for high-level discussion and expert advice on the management of archives and records where it has a bearing on and/or is affected by legal and regulatory issues and the development and implementation of international standards.
- Its work includes managing projects, the creation of tools and resources to support the work of PCOM, ICA members and the wider archives and records management network.
- Provide advice or help identify appropriate advisors to the elected officers and the Secretary General.
- EGLM liaises also on behalf of the ICA with external partners and groups working on similar issues and projects
EGLM will undertake projects to support on matters related to :
- Freedom of Information / Access to Information
- Data Protection / Privacy laws
- Intellectual property
- Legislation which has a particularly big impact on archives and records
- Laws which authorise and regulate national archive institutions
- Protection of cultural property against theft and illegal export and forgery of records and archives both within sovereign states and across borders
- The declassification of records where the access was restricted for security reasons
- The review and development of archives and records management standards, in particular the international standards overseen by Technical Committee 46 of the International Standards Organisation (ISO TC 46)