The International Council on Archives invites applications for the role of Programme Officer, based at the offices of the ICA Secretariat in Paris, France. Qualified applicants are invited to apply no matter their country of residence.
This is an excellent career development opportunity for a motivated professional who believes in international cooperation.
Working for ICA offers an unrivalled vantage point from which to learn about the latest cutting edge developments in the archival world, and to experience first-hand how international standards, best practices and professional tools are developed and applied in different cultures throughout the world. The individual appointed will have the opportunity to increase their professional knowledge and to improve their communications skills. Through working in the ICA Secretariat, they will gradually build up a large international network of contacts that will be of long-term benefit, to them, to ICA and to future employers.
The Programme Officer is responsible for the day-to-day management and strategic oversight of the activities of the ICA falling under the responsibility of the Vice President Programme and the ICA Programme Commission. ICA’s Programme Commission (PCOM) has overall responsibility for the organization’s professional activities, including the workplans of ICA expert groups (such as the development of tools and standards, management of projects, etc.) and the programme for the Annual Conferences and the Quadrennial Congress. It also oversees the professional activities of the sections and branches. Further, the Programme Commission offers strategic support to the Secretary-General of the organization on professional matters and on the development of internal policy related to professional questions.
- Assisting the Vice President Programme in preparing the agenda, reports and documentation for PCOM meetings (twice annually), and in compiling and disseminating minutes
- Managing the PCOM budget and monitoring spending in coordination with the Vice President (Programme) and the ICA Administration and Financial Manager, including preparing financial reports for PCOM
- Administering the PCOM project application process from start to finish including calls for project proposals, administering e-votes by PCOM members, negotiation of project charters, and tracking and reporting on funded PCOM projects
- Reviewing text about programme activities for publication on the ICA website and in Flash
- Maintaining and managing the online PCOM workspace
- Oversight and regular communication with the ICA Expert Groups
- Acting as coordinator with the regional branches, sections and expert groups in relation to professional activities, including soliciting and managing reports
- Alongside with the VP Programme lead the development of the Programme content for annual conferences/congress including managing the programme development process, managing the Programme Committee and Review Committee, and acting as a member of other conference committees as needed
- Supporting the Secretary General in budgeting, planning, logistics, and scheduling of governance meetings during annual conference/congress
Funds for the International Development on Archives
- Supporting the President of FIDA in Administering the FIDA project application process from start to finish including calls for project proposals, assessing proposals, managing reports, preparing meetings (once at annual conference, once on line per year) and minutes
- Supporting the Secretary General, Elected Officers, ICA Training Officer, and other ICA Secretariat members in developing policy and delivering on strategic goals
- Contributing as a member of the Secretariat team to any other projects, programmes and activities that lead to the achievement of ICA strategic objectives, as and when required, including participating in missions
Essential qualifications and competencies
- Professional archivist or records manager with at least five years’ experience
- Adequate working level command of either French or English and one other language (English or French can be the other language)
- Self-starter, highly motivated, exercising initiative and able to work alone unsupervised for long periods
- Flexible and responsive, contributing positively to the dynamic of a small team
- Commitment to international cooperation in the field of archives and to the values of ICA
- Oral and written communication
- Interact with people from various cultural backgrounds
- Develop and execute annual plans including budget monitoring
- Organize and run meetings
- Well-developed skills in common ICT software packages, including email, word processing, spreadsheets, presentation, database and content management software
- Work independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to travel as needed
- Professional qualification through post-secondary education or formal training as an archivist or records manager
- Published articles or monographs in the field of archives or records management
- Experience in organizing events on a large scale
- International experience
- Experience in loading and managing content on websites
- Knowledge of ICA and its organization, strategic objectives and programme priorities
Conditions of Employment
Subject to the satisfactory completion of a probationary period, the successful candidate will be offered a permanent contract (Contrat de Durée Indeterminée) under French employment law. The starting salary is likely to be around 3000 euros per month, but more may be available for an exceptionally qualified candidate.
The French government is currently transitioning to a Deduction-at-Source system for income tax. Such deductions will be effected out of the total above.
French employment establishes an annual leave entitlement of 25 days plus statutory holidays. In addition, the ICA office is normally closed for a short period during the winter break.
To apply for this position, qualified applicants are invited to send a covering letter and a CV that, taken together, demonstrate the above capacities and requirements to Anthea Seles, ICA Secretary General (email@example.com), by 11 October 2018.
Selection will be by CV screening and interview, to take place in the Paris office of the ICA Secretariat or virtually during October 2018.
Download | 182.74 KB | Type : PDF | Language : Français