Category “D” members are individual members of ICA in good standing of all nationalities who are at present or have been in the past professionally involved in the information management or heritage fields.
Being an ICA Executive Board member requires a significant commitment of personal time and can draw on the support of the member’s employer institution or association. The role is voluntary, and no remuneration is offered, nor can be accepted, for the performance of the functions of the office. Depending on the individual circumstance of the person elected to the Category D member at large seat on the ICA Executive Board, some funding can be made available to offset the cost of attendance at essential governance meetings.
A working level knowledge of either English or French (the official languages of the ICA) is highly desirable
The Constitution and Internal Regulations adopted by the ICA Extraordinary Assembly 20 October 2021 adds a category D member at large to the Executive Board. The 2021 ICA Constitution specifies:
6.2 Member at Large Category D
6.2.1 Member at Large D is chosen from and amongst the Category D members as defined under section 3 and represent the interests of that group. This position is also a member of the Executive Board.
6.2.2 Member at Large are responsible to represent the interests of their membership category.
The 2021 ICA Constitution attributes the following powers to the Executive Board:
8.2.1 The Executive Board directs ICA and its constituent bodies in relation to the aim and objectives of the organization by:
18.104.22.168 overseeing the implementation of the policies and programme agreed by the General Assembly.
22.214.171.124 deciding on the preferred option for the date of the General Assembly of ICA, the Conferences, the Congresses, and the Forum of National Archivists;
126.96.36.199 establishing general priorities for ICA communications, in consultation with PCOM;
188.8.131.52 recommending ICA’s budget for the approval of the General Assembly, and oversee its implementation;
184.108.40.206 approving the verified accounts for the fiscal year ended;
220.127.116.11 being informed of the approval of memberships in categories A, B and C;
18.104.22.168 approving the Internal Regulations of ICA and ensure that these are published promptly;
22.214.171.124 authorizing actions and commitments exceeding the scope of powers specific to the Elected Officers and, more generally, any delegation of powers;
126.96.36.199 recommending the amount of the annual membership fee for the approval of the General Assembly;
188.8.131.52 recommending the creation, amalgamation or dissolution of regional branches and sections for the approval of the General Assembly;
184.108.40.206 recommending the appointment of ICA Fellows for the approval of the General Assembly;
220.127.116.11 recommending the appointment of members of the Evaluation Commission for the approval of the General Assembly;
18.104.22.168 reviewing the reports of the President, Vice-presidents and Executive Director before approval by the General Assembly.
22.214.171.124 ensuring the organization of conferences and congresses is undertaken in accordance with the Internal Regulations.
The mandate for the position is four (4) years, commencing from the ICA General Assembly of September 2022 and continuing to the ordinary General Assembly of 2026.
All category D members, in good standing, have the right to stand for election, and to cast a vote for their preferred candidate.
Candidates will be asked to submit a short CV (two pages maximum) and a statement of intent (maximum 500 words) in English and French. Candidates will need to obtain three letters of support from among the voting members of ICA. The names of the three supporters will be published, but not any letters which they may write.
The closing date for arrival of the complete candidate’s dossier in the Secretariat will be Friday 8 July 2022 at midnight Central European Time (CET).
The applications are to be sent to Ms. Constance V. Vidon, ICA Executive Coordinator, at email@example.com.
The elections will be conducted in accordance with the Constitution which was approved by the Extraordinary General Assembly on 20 October 2021. Member at Large D is chosen from and amongst the Category D members in good standing, as defined under section 3. The votes of members in the different categories will be weighted in accordance with a system set out in the Internal Regulations.
The Internal Regulations state that each Category D member has one (1) vote.
Mr. Atakilty Assefa Asgedom, Chair of the Evaluation Commission, is the Elections Officer 2022.
- The closing date for submission of the complete candidate’s dossier to the Secretariat is Friday 8 July 2022 at midnight Central European Time (CET)
- If there is only one eligible candidate that presents himself or herself for the post, the Elections Officer will declare the candidate to have been elected unopposed and will announce this by Wednesday 13 July 2022.
- If there is a contested election involving two or more eligible candidates for the post, the Secretariat will publish an up-to-date list of voting Category "D" members on the ICA website by Monday 18 July 2022 as well as the chosen voting process.
- The closing date for voting will be Friday 12 August 2022 at midnight Central European Time (CET).
- The counting of votes will be concluded by Wednesday 17 August 2022 at the latest.
- The results of the count will be transmitted to the Elections Officer by Friday 19 August 2022.
- The Elections Officer will inform the candidates of the results by Friday 26 August 2022.
- The results will be posted by Wednesday 31 August 2022.
- The term of the new Category “D” member at large commences after the formal handover conducted during the ICA General Assembly meeting of Wednesday 21 September 2022, Rome.