Call for papers for ICA-SUV 2022 conference
Call for Papers
The Section on University and Research Institution Archives (ICA-SUV) is a section of the ICA that was founded in 1992 during the ICA’s International Congress on Archives in Montreal. The SUV came into being when forty-one archivists from thirteen countries attended the first meeting of the provisional section. It was created through the vision and work of an Australian archivist, Alan Ives, who, with the support of Charles Kecskemeti, Secretary General of the ICA, assembled an ad hoc committee of academic archivists and planned a program to launch the section. A steering committee was elected and, with some changes, provided leadership for the section during its first four years.
The section is open to current and former archivists working in universities, colleges, academies of science and letters, learned societies and research institutions. It currently has 159 members in 47 countries.
The annual conference of the Section on Archives of Universities and Research Institutions of the International Council on Archives will be held once again in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Section the week of September 5th, 2022. (Dates to be confirmed).
The theme of the conference will be:
COMMEMORATION AND ARCHIVES IN UNIVERSITIES AND RESEARCH INSTITUTIONS
Papers may relate to any aspect of commemoration in the archival community. Papers are invited from archivists, records managers, and those who deal with digital records. However, the organizers particularly encourage proposals which address:
- the goals and objectives of commemoration
- the place and role of universities in the development of archival science and its methods in relation to commemoration
- the role of the archivist and his or her place as a participant or stakeholder in the process of implementing commemoration
- the place of commemoration in archival functions, is it different for digital archives than for analog archives?
- inclusion and diversity in commemoration
- the need to access archives in order to commemorate
- neutrality, activism and commemoration.
- types of approaches to commemoration, based on trauma, marginalized people, etc.
- issues for commemoration in a digitally transformed world
Papers are likely to be 20 minutes long, and should be analytical, rather than purely descriptive.
Please note that the conference will be hybrid, online and onsite. It will be held in English and French, so proposals must be submitted in one of these languages. Simultaneous translation will be available.
If you wish to submit a proposal, please include:
- Paper title
- Name of speaker(s)
- Job title and institution
- 250-350 word abstract with bibliography of at least three items
- Online or onsite presentation delivery
- Short biography of speaker(s)
Proposals will be reviewed by the Scientific Program Committee, which will select papers based on the scientific, academic and practical rigor of the work and their relevance to the topic. The committee encourages speakers to attend and deliver in person but, online presentations will be accepted. Speakers must mention which they choose.
Proposals should be submitted to Mrs. Taïk Bourhis (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 15thFebruary, 2022.
- Call for papers: November 2021
- Papers proposals submission: November 2021 to February 15, 2022
- Programme Committee Decision informing successful candidates before April 1, 2022
Please note that registration, travel and accommodation costs of speakers will not be covered, although registration costs are kept as low as possible.
Located in Canada, Montreal is the most populous city in the province of Quebec. With a metropolitan area of more than 4 million population, it is the second most populous city in Canada.
Montreal is on the list of the top 10 destinations in North America. Montreal was ranked the 12th-most liveable city in the world by the Economist Intelligence Unit in its annual Global Liveability Ranking. It is regularly ranked as a top ten city in the world to be a university student in the QS World University Rankings.