Comma, International Journal on Archives is the official journal of the International Council on Archives (ICA). As a multilingual and multicultural journal, Comma seeks to be an inclusive forum for discussion and exploration of scholarly and practical developments in the global archives profession. Published bi-annually, the journal includes research articles and case studies as well as reviews of publications and resources that are created by archivists or affect archives and the archives profession. The journal publishes contributions on a wide variety of subjects, including the cultural, social, legal, and international contexts in which archivists, records managers, and cultural heritage stewards work, as well as the history, development, and establishment of archives and archival programs. Comma especially seeks to be a welcoming space for new authors and new professionals and encourages new voices and perspectives from underrepresented communities. Contributions may be submitted in any of the following languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Russian, and Spanish. All articles are accompanied by an abstract which is translated into these seven languages.
The ICA, the Editor-in-Chief, and the Comma Editorial Board seek candidates for Editors who are competent and have published or edited in any of the following languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Russian, and Spanish. The Editors will set editorial standards for these languages, be responsible for soliciting content, edit copy, engage new and established authors, and help make the journal more inclusive, diverse, and accessible to a global readership. We welcome candidates who are fluent in one or more of these languages to apply.
The successful candidates will work closely with the Editor-in-Chief and the experienced and committed Editorial Board. Candidates should have:
- A commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity
- Demonstrated publication and editorial experience
- A current ICA membership
- Familiarity with the structure and activities of the ICA
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Ability to organize and delegate to professional colleagues
- Demonstrated ability to develop and nurture relationships with emerging and established authors
- A firm understanding of the archival profession and the archival literature
The overall responsibilities are:
- Co-leading on editorial policy for Comma, in line with ICA priorities and scholarly and professional best practice
- Advising and engaging both new and established authors, and encouraging them to develop ideas into research articles and case studies for publication
- Co-coordinating with ICA sections, regional branches, and expert groups to identify relevant content or develop special issues
Editorial and production:
- Gathering and editing journal content
- Overseeing the translation of abstracts
- Overseeing production timetables
- Coordinating the review, copyediting, and production of journal content with ICA staff, the Editor-in-Chief, and the Editorial Board
The Editors will each need to dedicate around 15-18 hours per month on average, depending on the production schedule.
To apply, please send a one-page letter of interest describing language competencies and editorial and publishing experiences and a curriculum vitae/résumé to Editor-in-Chief Bethany Anderson at email@example.com and to the ICA at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 1, 2023.