Organised by the ICA Training Programme, this webinar scheduled for November 30, 2023 will present the online course on “Managing Digital Archives”. Nancy McGovern, former Chair of the Expert Group on Digital Records (now the Expert Group on Managing Digital and Physical Records, or EG-MDPR) and recipient of the 2023 Leahy Award, will deliver the session in her capacity as co-author of the course in collaboration with her fellow co-author and the facilitator of this webinar: Margaret Crockett, ICA Training Programme Manager.
This virtual session will offer an in-depth breakdown of the “Managing Digital Archives” online class and the practical skills it is designed to develop in learners by drawing extensively on the materials developed for the course. Participants will not only receive a primer of the knowledge contained within the course itself but will also be given the opportunity to ask any questions they may have about the course and its content directly to the co-authors themselves.
Effective stewardship of digital archives depends upon competency in five core skills that will be explored in detail during the webinar, namely to the capacities to:
- Anticipate change (and be flexible)
- Assess technical capabilities (so be aware)
- Track relevant technologies (and keep current)
- Balance monitoring and doing (be adaptive and adoptive)
- Make informed decisions (be prudent)
- Invest in technologies (be savvy)
- Collaborate on solutions (and be innovative)
This webinar is therefore perfect for any member of our community who wishes to learn more about the ICA online Training Programme, the “Managing Digital Archives” course specifically, or is seeking to adapt their professional skills for our increasingly digital age.
- 16:00 / Welcome and introduction
- 16:05 / Presentation
- 16:45 / Question and answers
- 17:00 / Final questions and answers
At the end of the webinar participants will be able to:
- Define stewardship and explain how it relates to the digital archives management functions of collecting, ingest, preservation, infrastructure and access
- Use techniques for identifying gaps in their organisation’s digital archives management
- Explain the individual and organisational benefits of aligning with the standards and practices of the digital archives and digital preservation communities
Participants at the end of the webinar will be provided with:
- A list of useful resources
- The Managing Digital Archives Working Definitions document from the online course
- A sample of exercise worksheets from the online course
Date: Thursday 30 November 2023
Time: 16:00 – 17:00 CET (Paris time). To confirm the date/time of this session in your time zone please use the following link.
Registration: The session is free and open to all.
This virtual session will be delivered in English. Interpretation into other languages will not be provided.
This webinar will be recorded and published on the ICA's YouTube channel.