The International Council on Archives was created in 1948, under the auspices of UNESCO, to be a voice for archives and archivists on the international stage. Its mission is to promote the preservation and use of archives around the world, while also working to protect and enhance the memory of the world and improve communications at the same time as respecting cultural diversity.
To achieve its mission, the ICA depends on the collaboration and active participation of its members located in different parts of the world. It therefore offers the archival and records management professionals an international network where they can learn about professional practices, exchange views and news, seek help and give archives a strong profile in the global community.
- The opportunity to expand and be involved in an international professional network.
- Involvement in the activities and debates of the Forum of National Archivists (Category A) and Section of Professional Associations (Category B).
- Participation as an active member of the ICA Regional Branches and Professional Sections (*), and involvement at regional level; taking part in the discussions organized by the professional sections; and helping develop standards, resources and guidelines in collaboration with highly committed experts.
- Reduced rates for registering on ICA’s Online Learning Platform.
- The possibility of financial support for their projects from the Programme Commission and the Fund for the International Development of Archives (FIDA).
- The opportunity to apply and join the New Professionals Programme.
- Reduced rates for attendance at ICA-organized events.
- The chance to participate in International Archives Week and share their events worldwide.
- Unlimited access to all ICA website resources.
- An exclusive subscription to ICA digital publications.
- Free copies of the paper version of the international professional journal "Comma" (**) and ICA’s twice-yearly magazine "Flash".
(*) Members can register to a maximum of two (2) Sections and two (2) Regional Branches. Please be advised that each Branch manages its own membership process.
(**) Not available for “Digital member” membership.