The ICA-SUV Reading Group, which launched in June 2020, seeks to virtually bring together archivists and record managers from all over the world to discuss once a month a journal article or a news item about recordkeeping. It is intended to be an exchange of ideas, perspectives and opinions in a convivial setting.
Sessions are announced on the ICA-SUV listserv. Please get in touch with Venkat Srinivasan (firstname.lastname@example.org), Anne-Flore Laloë (email@example.com), or Ellen Engseth (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have suggestions or would like to help by proposing articles or running a session.
Previously discussed readings:
- 10 & 11 June 2020: Schwartz, JM, Cook, T, “Archives, records, and power: The making of modern memory”, Archival Science, 2, 1-19, 2002.
- 21 & 22 July 2020: Pell, S, “Radicalizing the Politics of the Archive: An Ethnographic Reading of an Activist Archive”, Archivaria, 80 (November), 33-57, 2015.
- 25 & 26 August 2020: Scottish Council on Archives, “Anthea Seles” [podcast], 2020-06-11.
- 22 & 23 September 2020: Drake, J, “Insurgent citizens: the manufacture of police records in post-Katrina New Orleans and its implications for human rights”, Archival Science, 14, 365-380, 2014, and Weld, K, “No Democracy Without Archives”, Boston Review, 2020-07-09.
- 28 October 2020: Wiedeman, G, “The Historical Hazards of Finding Aids”, The American Archivist, 82 (2), 381-420, 2019.
- 8 & 9 December 2020: Nora, Pierre. 1989. “Between Memory and History: Les Lieux de Mémoire", Representations, 26, 7-24.
- 26 & 27 January 2021: Boadas, Joan. 2019. "Archives: A multifaceted nature," Comma, 1, 71-78.
- 16 & 17 February 2021: This month we will be discussing the global pandemic, and resources to guide us about our materials and our workplaces. One source we'll discuss is the REALM project.
For the discussion:
- Watch: https://www.oclc.org/realm/resources/video-overview.html
- Scan: https://www.oclc.org/content/dam/realm/documents/checklist.pdf
- Read: https://aiha-assets.sfo2.digitaloceanspaces.com/AIHA/resources/Reopening-Guidance-for-Museums-and-Collecting-Institutions_GuidanceDocument.pdf
Please register by Sunday 14 February by completing this form: https://forms.gle/mdUvurzoJW8FPGKN7
You will need to register in order to receive the login details to join the virtual meeting.
- 23 & 24 March 2021: Roberto, C., Anderson, K. & Crockett, M. 2021. "Translating the Universal Declaration on Archives: working with archival traditions and languages across the world", Archives & Manuscripts, DOI: 10.1080/01576895.2020.1854095