FUTURE [of] ARCHIVES
Université du Québec à Montréal, Canada
20-22 June 2023 (in-person)
Submissions should consist of 20-minute presentations, panels of three 20-minute papers, or practice-based research/workshops.
IAMHIST is the International Association for Media and History, an organization of scholars, filmmakers, broadcasters and archivists dedicated to historical enquiry into film, radio, TV and other media.
The IAMHIST Conference will be particularly interested in proposals dealing with media archives (film, radio, video, television, Web, photographs, etc.) but also warmly welcomes archives that use media and technology institutionally (museums, associations, vernacular archives etc.).
We invite scholars, archivists, practitioners, and artists to send a proposal that concerns one or more of the following topics:
- Archives and accessibility
- Archives, restitution, and memory
- Archives and social justice
- Archives and ecology / sustainable archives
- Archives and decolonization
- Case studies of archival use in media history research
- Archives and (media-) storage
- Reuse of archives in research, artistic projects, and practice
- Archival material in film and arts
- Reflections on how to archive research/scholarly activities
- Vernacular, private, and institutional archives
- History of media archives
- Financing and funding of archives
- Internationalization of archives
- Local and regional archives
- Archives, memory, and nostalgia
- Archives and emotion
The deadline for submissions is 16 January 2023. You can submit proposals here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Individual paper proposals should consist of a title, an abstract of 200 to 300 words and a short biography. We especially welcome proposals from early career researchers and practitioners. Panel proposals (of three papers) are welcome; they need to be registered by one individual presenter of the panel who must include the title of the panel and all paper abstracts and short bios. We also appreciate proposals for archival, artistic or multimedia/practice-based projects or workshops. You are welcome to discuss their suitability with the conference organizers in advance of the deadline.
Notifications of decisions will be sent alongside additional information on travel and accommodation by early February 2023; registration will be open by that day. Registration fees will be kept as low as possible and depend on several funding opportunities that the organizers are currently seeking. Conference attendees are expected to be members of IAMHIST – there will be an opportunity to join at the time of registration. Information about IAMHIST membership can be found here: http://iamhist.net/membership/.
For more information on their website use this link: http://iamhist.net/2022/09/call-papers/